This site is accessible using any internet enabled device but will look best in a modern graphical browser that supports web standards.

Jump To: Content | Navigation

Undergraduate Bulletin 1999-2001

Academic Regulations, Continued


All entering day division freshmen receive placement based upon their ACT, SAT, or SAT II test scores. Depending on the score, students are either placed in ENGL T122 (Critical Reading/Writing), receive exemption from ENGL T122, or take a placement examination. Students required to take the placement exam may not schedule a composition course without having taken the exam. Based on the results of the exam, students are placed in ENGL A100 (Expository Writing), ENGL A105 (English Composition: International Students), or ENGL T122. Entering freshmen who have taken SAT II (Literature) and received a high enough score may receive exemption from ENGL T125 (The Emerging Self). Both ENGL T122 and ENGL T125 are required for graduation. Please note that exemption allows three hours of general electives.

For City College and evening business students, the graduation requirement in composition is satisfied by Composition C119. For information on the testing and placement sequence, please refer to the paragraphs dealing with composition in the City College and the College of Business Administration sections of this bulletin.


All students (freshmen and transfers) who enter the B.A., B.S., or B.F.A. degree programs in the College of Arts and Sciences will be required to pass a second-semester course in first-year foreign language (i.e., French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Latin, or Greek A101) or demonstrate equivalent knowledge by placing into a higher level on a departmental examination. Students who must take A100 of the language in preparation for the required A101 will use the A100 credit as general elective hours. Students enrolling in business administration (with the exception of international business) or music have no foreign language requirement but may elect to take foreign language if they so desire.

Loyola offers placement tests in the following languages: Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Latin, and Greek. No credit is given as a result of these tests; their purpose is placement into the appropriate level.

freshmen: Students who have knowledge of the languages listed above may take the foreign language placement test to determine if they can "place out" of the entire requirement or to determine the level at which they should begin if they wish to continue with the language beyond the requirement. Students who "place out" of the requirement will need to take three additional hours of general electives to fulfill graduation requirements.

transfer students: Students who are transferring from an accredited institution semester hours with a minimum grade of C for the equivalent of Loyola's A101 language course will have met the foreign language requirement and NEED NOT take the placement test. Transfer students with no foreign language transfer credit may take the exam to determine if they have sufficient knowledge to "place out" of the requirement or to determine the level at which they should begin if they wish to continue the language beyond the requirement. This later group will need to take additional general elective hours as explained above.

exemptions: Students who have graduated from a high school outside of the United States in which the language of instruction is not English are considered "native speakers" of another language and are thus exempt from the foreign language requirement. Also exempt from the foreign language requirement are students who place into ENGL A105. No credit will be awarded for students exempt from the requirement; they will need to complete three additional hours of general electives to fulfill graduation requirements.

Students who seek exemption from the requirement who do not meet the guidelines above need to take the placement exam to determine eligibility for exemption. Falling into this category are students who attended high school in the U.S. but who speak a foreign language at home. Please note that in this category we can offer exemptions only in languages Loyola teaches. Students exempt from the requirement will need to complete three additional hours of general electives to fulfill graduation requirements.


All entering day division freshmen are placed in math courses based upon the math scores of the ACT or SAT tests. These scores determine if any remedial work is required before the student may schedule the math course specified by his/her program. Entering students who score at or above the Loyola-established score on the math portion of the ACT or SAT may receive exemption, depending on their degree program, for the required math. Please note that exemption allows for three hours of general electives.

Transfer students are also required to take the math placement examination unless they transfer a college-level (i.e., not remedial) math course with a minimum grade of C.

Currently, Loyola offers two remedial math courses. MATH A092, Fundamentals of Algebra, is the remedial course for students who major in biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, computer information systems, economics, psychology, sociology, elementary education, or business. MATH A095, Introduction to Linear Mathematics, is the remedial course for all other majors in arts and sciences and in music.

If a student is placed in remedial math, the student must complete the remediation before registering for the college-level math course required by the major.

Credit earned in MATH A092 and MATH A095 is not applicable toward a degree, but grades earned in these courses enter into the grade point average.


Loyola recognizes that students, as a result of study or experience, may possess a mastery of the content of certain college courses. To enable students to profit from their knowledge, Loyola allows students to receive credit or a waiver of a requirement through departmental or external examination. The availability of departmental examinations is left to the discretion of the individual departments.

Credit by examination is governed by the following regulations:

  1. Only registered non-transient students are eligible to receive credits.
  2. The maximum number of credit hours a student may earn by examination is 30.
  3. A student may not receive credit in or a waiver of a requirement in a course in which the student has attended or enrolled, except during the first semester when a student is allowed to drop a course because of inaccurate placement. Students who have enrolled in a course as auditing may petition for credit by examination.
  4. A student may not receive credit by examination for a course that is at a level more elementary than one in which he or she is currently or previously enrolled.
  5. Credits earned by examination do not qualify students for veterans' benefits nor are they used in determining registered hours.
  6. Credits earned at another university based on that institution's internal placement exams will not transfer to Loyola.

Departmental Examinations

Students may petition the dean in charge of the subject area to be examined on the content of a specific course or to have an examination or evaluation of an academic experience related to a specific area. Upon completion of the examination or evaluation, the dean will notify the registrar who shall, if the student has been successful, post the credit. There is a per course equivalent fee charged. Students should consult their dean for this fee information.

Optional Placement Tests

Placement tests in modern foreign languages, Greek, Latin and history are available to entering students. Their scores on the test may enable them to place out of certain courses. Based on their scores on the history test, students may receive Loyola credit for specific courses upon registration.

Additionally, placement and proficiency tests and auditions are given in the area of music for the purpose of assigning students to private applied music study and to ensure homogeneity in some classes. Extraordinarily able music students may receive advanced placement in some music study on an individual basis.

External Examinations

Students may petition the university for credit by external examination by having the scores sent to the Loyola admissions office. The dean's office will evaluate all scores based on the approved external examination. There is a $20 posting fee on external examinations.

External Credit by Examination Chart

Biology BIOL T122 Cult. Biol 3 50 650 4
Microbiology BIOL A212 Microbiology 4 50
Anatomy BIOL C210 Anatomy 3 50
Chemistry CHEM A105 - A107 Gen. Chem. 4 50 670 4

ENGL T122 Critical Reading/Writing or Comp C119

3 500 50 640 4
Microeconomics ECON B200 Microeconomics 3 50
Macroeconomics ECON B201 Macroeconomics 3 50
Educ. Psychology EDUC A305 Education Psych. 3 50
French I FREN A100 French I 3 50 660
French II FREN A101 French II 3 50
French Lang. Level III FREN A201 3 4
French Lit. Level III FREN A201 3 4
German I GERM A100 German 3 50 670
German II GERM A101 German 3 50
German Level III GERM A201 3 4
European History HIST T122 World History 3 50 640 4
American History I HIST A200 U.S. History I 3 50 590 4
American History II HIST A201 U.S. History II 3 50
Afro-American Hist. HIST A256 U.S. Black History 3 50
Latin Lyric LATN A300-level 3 4
Virgil LATN A300-level 3 4
Composition and Lit. ENGL T125 The Emerging Self 3 4
College Algebra MATH A117 College Algebra or MATH C112 College Algebra 3 50
Algebra & Trig. MATH A118 Pre-calculus Math 3 50
Trigonometry MATH A118 Pre-calculus Math 3 50
Mathematics (Level II) MATH A118 Pre-calculus Math 3 750
Mathematics MATH T122 Math Models 3 500
Mathematics (Level I) MATH T122 Math Models 3 640
Statistics MATH A241 Prob. & Stat. or ORGB C260 3 50
Test & Measurement MATH A241 Prob. & Stat. 3 50
Calculus MATH A257 Calculus I 4 50
Calculus AB MATH A257 Calculus I 4 4
Calculus BC MATH A258 Calculus II 4 4
Psychology PSYC A100 Intro. to Psych. 3 50 4
Russian I RUSS A100 Russian I 3 730
Sociology SOCI A100 Intro. Soc. 3 50
Spanish I SPAN A100 Spanish I 3 50 670
Spanish II SPAN A101 Spanish II 3 50
Spanish Lang. SPAN A201 3 4
Spanish Lit. SPAN A201 3 4
Humanities SPEC A499 Humanities 3 500 4
Natural Sciences SPEC A499 Natural Sciences 3 500 4
Social Sciences SPEC A499 Social Sciences 3 500
Art: History VISA A210 World Art 3 4

IB: International Baccalaureate: credit by exam scale
Credit given for: Higher Levels - scores of 5, 6, 7

Biology 3 hrs. Biol T122 Cultural Biology
Chemistry 3 hrs. Chem T122 Introduction to Chemistry
Computing 3 hrs. Cosc A106 Microcomp. and Productivity
Economics 3 hrs. Econ X130 Economics and Society
English AI 3 hrs. Engl T125 The Emerging Self
History: Americas 3 hrs. Hist A200 U.S. History
History: European 3 hrs. Hist A499 Modern Europe
Languages: A2 & B      
Fren/Germ/Span/Ital/Russ 3 hrs. Lang A201 Second Year II
Italian 3 hrs. Ital A499 Second Year II
Greek/Latin 3 hrs. Grek/Latn A499 Second Year II
Mathematics HL 3 hrs. Math T122 Math Models
Music 3 hrs. Mugn U168 The World of Music
Philosophy 3 hrs. Phil T122 Introduction to Philosophy
Physical Science 3 hrs. Spst A499 Physical Science
Physics 3 hrs. Phys T122 Introduction to Physics
Psychology 3 hrs. Psyc A100 Introduction to Psychology


At least 25% of the semester credit hours required for the degree must be earned through instruction offered by Loyola. Unless special permission is granted by the dean for the student to pursue course work elsewhere, the last 30 credit hours must be completed at Loyola. Although transfer students are required to complete at least 15 credit hours in their major while at Loyola University, additional hours are normally required. Transfer students in City College are required to complete at least 50% of the credit hours in the major at Loyola.


Students must meet the specific requirements of their degree programs as set forth in this bulletin. The university, through the deans, may authorize changes and exceptions when it finds them desirable and consistent with the continuous and orderly review of its policies.

To be eligible for graduation, students must have fulfilled their specific degree program and college requirements, must have at least a 2.0 Loyola cumulative grade point average, major average and minor average if a minor is pursued, and must have been certified to graduate by their dean. Those departments with different requirements will so inform students.

Applications for graduation should be filed during the previous fall term for May and August candidates and in the previous spring term for December candidates. Specific deadlines are published in the academic calendar and in the Registration Schedules. If the student is unable to graduate in that term, he or she must apply again for graduation in any subsequent term.


Students are required to complete their degree program within nine years of their first semester of enrollment.


Loyola confers degrees in May, August, and December. After grades are received, the university determines graduation grade point averages and distinctions. Subsequently, the student records office posts the degrees and distinctions to transcripts and provides the students with their diplomas. Diplomas and transcripts are not released until the student has discharged all financial and contractual obligations to the university. After a student has graduated, no change may be made in his or her record, except to correct a discrepancy (see Grade Reports) or as the result of a grade appeal (see Grade Appeals).


Graduation distinctions are determined on the basis of the student's Loyola cumulative grade point average. A student who has made a cumulative average of 3.5 graduates cum laude, one who has made an average of 3.7, magna cum laude; one who has made an average of 3.9, summa cum laude. In addition, graduation distinctions for transfer students who complete 64 or more Loyola quality hours will be based solely on the Loyola cumulative grade point average.

Graduation distinctions for transfer students who complete fewer than 64 Loyola cumulative quality hours will be based on two factors: 1) the Loyola cumulative grade point average and 2) the combined grade point average of course work taken at Loyola and transfer institution(s). If the lower of the two averages is 3.5, the distinction will be cum laude; if the lower is 3.7, the distinction will be magna cum laude; if the lower is 3.9, the distinction will be summa cum laude.

On completion of all course requirements and certification for graduation by the student's dean, the official distinction will be inscribed on the diploma and listed on the transcript. Distinctions noted in the commencement ceremony program are based on the previous term's cumulative grades and, therefore, may not be the same as the official distinction.


Loyola holds commencement ceremonies at the end of the fall and spring semesters. Students who are candidates for December are eligible to participate in that fall commencement ceremony. Those who are candidates for May or August graduation are eligible to participate in that spring commencement ceremony. The commencement program is not a certification document of the university.


The diploma given to students upon graduation carries the university information, student's name, university distinctions and degree title. Diplomas will be released only to students who have discharged their financial and legal obligations to the university.


Loyola has cross-enrollment agreements with the New Orleans Consortium (Xavier University and Notre Dame Seminary), Tulane University, University of New Orleans and Southern University in New Orleans. Loyola students who wish to enroll at one of these institutions through a cross-enrollment agreement must have the permission of their advisor, dean and the registrar. Students may not cross enroll for courses regularly offered at Loyola.

Loyola students who participate in the cross-enrollment program will have the course work automatically posted to their Loyola transcript. Therefore, Loyola students when applying to graduate schools should not indicate one of the cross-enrollment institutions as one of the schools that they have attended.

Students who cross-enroll at Loyola will not have a transcript from Loyola for the semesters during which they cross-enrolled; those courses will appear on the transcript of their home institution. If, however, the student attends Loyola during the summer when there is no cross-enrollment agreement, then he or she would have a Loyola transcript for that summer semester.

Any student paying the equivalent of full-time day tuition on his or her home campus is eligible to cross-enroll for a maximum of two courses or six hours through the New Orleans Consortium (Loyola, Xavier, Notre Dame) per semester. The combined number of semester hours scheduled determines full-time tuition. Loyola undergraduates may cross-register for a limit of two specially designated courses in the departments of theatre, anthropology, geology, speech, engineering (3 Ð 2 program only), and military science at Tulane per semester. Only Loyola Russian majors may take advanced Russian courses at Tulane. The two-course limit per semester still applies; likewise, Tulane undergraduates may cross-register in the departments of communications and drama and speech.

Loyola, University of New Orleans and Southern University cross-enroll only in ROTC programs. All Air Force ROTC program benefits and services, including scholarships, are provided to qualified Loyola students.


Students must obtain the prior written permission of their dean to enroll in courses at other institutions. No transfer credit will be awarded for such work unless the courses are approved by the student's department and dean. Only students in good standing are granted permission to attend another institution. Students are cautioned that deans will grant permission to take courses elsewhere only when the student can demonstrate compelling reasons to do so. Credit will be awarded only as earned hours for approved courses in which grades of C or above have been earned.

An official copy of the transcript from the other institution must be submitted to the Loyola student records office prior to the completion of Loyola's next semester or the course will be subject to the provisions of evaluation of transfer course work.

Students from Loyola who have been excluded are not allowed to take course work elsewhere. If they violate this restriction, the transcript may be requested but credit will not be given for the course work nor will the grade point average be used to accept or reject a student who wishes to reenter Loyola. Course work taken after the period of the exclusion will be evaluated. However, the student is advised to follow the procedures for taking courses elsewhere as stated in this bulletin.


Students pursuing degrees at Loyola are encouraged to advance their progress toward completion by attending Loyola's summer sessions. Loyola students desiring to attend summer sessions elsewhere must have prior, written permission from their dean if they want such credits to apply toward a Loyola degree. Credit will be awarded only as earned hours for approved courses in which grades of C or above have been earned.


Students enrolled in a term may apply to their dean for a leave of absence for either the next term or academic year and process a leave of absence form in the student records office. Students returning from a leave of absence are subject to the policies of the bulletin under which they were originally admitted.

A leave of absence is not granted to a student transferring to another university.


To withdraw officially from the university a student must:

  1. Obtain a withdrawal form from the Office of Student Records.
  2. Obtain signatures of the designated officials on the withdrawal form.
  3. Resident students must also obtain clearance from the Office of Residential Life.
  4. Students should consult the official university calendar for the tuition refund schedule and deadlines.

Withdrawal is not complete or official until all signatures have been obtained and the registrar's copy is returned to the Office of Student Records.

Those students who withdraw officially from the university prior to the last day for dropping courses as recorded in the academic calendar will have the courses removed from their records. Students withdrawing from the university after the drop period but in the withdrawal period will receive Ws.

Students who have not been enrolled at the university for a period of two semesters or more must follow the degree requirements in effect at the time of their reentry.


A student will be granted a medical withdrawal from the university within the term the student is incapacitated, on the condition that detailed written documentation is provided by the student's health care professional to the associate vice president for student affairs, who will make a final recommendation to the vice president for student affairs. Written notification will be provided to appropriate parties by the associate vice president for student affairs.

Any student receiving a medical withdrawal during the term may be required to remain out of class the succeeding term. (This decision will be based on seriousness of illness and time of withdrawal.) Medical withdrawals must be made within the term being requested (during illness). The associate vice president for student affairs will recommend the appropriate refund, if any.


Admissions Documents
The admissions records of enrolled students are retained for ten years. Acceptance letters, applications, correspondence, credit by examination, test scores, transcripts, transfer credit evaluations and admissions decision information are retained on non-enrolled students for a period of one year. The admissions records (transcripts and transfer evaluations) of transfer students admitted since fall 1986 are retained permanently.

Records and Registration Documents
Graduation certification forms are retained for a period of one year. Course withdrawal forms, final grade rosters, transcripts, catalogs, class schedules, and commencement information are retained indefinitely. Students are required to report and appeal all discrepancies regarding all academic records to the registrar within 30 days from the final class day of the semester in which the discrepancy occurred.


Immediately following registration held in the beginning of each semester, students who are taking courses leading towards degree requirements are eligible for benefits through the Veterans and Social Security Administrations and can be certified by the assistant registrar in the student records office. In accordance with Title 38, United States Code, Veterans Benefits, Loyola University certifies only those students who are admitted to a degree program and who are making satisfactory progress as determined by the probationary and exclusion policies of the university's colleges.

Reimbursement is certified for courses only and excludes noncredit courses. All inquiries concerning the certification should be directed to the Office of Student Records.

Credit Hour Certification Rules For Veterans

Classification Full Time 3/4 Time 1/2 Time 1/4 Time
Undergraduate 12 9 6 3
Graduate 6 - 3 -
Law 9 6 3 2
Summer School: All Colleges 6 3 - -


Loyola is authorized to distribute only Loyola's own transcripts, not the records of testing services or other universities. Students may have three records at Loyola which comprise the official transcript: undergraduate, graduate, or law transcript. Upon a student's request, all official transcripts are sent by the student records office to others. Transcripts marked "Issued to the Student" are given by the student records office to students. In accordance with recommendations of the American Association of College Registrars and Admissions Officers, official transcripts issued to students should not be treated as an official academic credential. Transcripts carry notations identifying major, minor, if applicable, degree program, Loyola term and cumulative statistics, degrees earned at Loyola and other institutions, transfer course work by institution, credit by examination, date of birth and prior academic level. Academic exclusion and academic dismissal are indicated on the transcript for students placed in this status.

Students who have attended Loyola as transients under the cross-enrollment/consortium policy will have their course work posted on their home institution's transcript.

The Office of Counseling and Career Services issues copies of Loyola transcripts as part of its placement portfolio. This document should not be treated as an official transcript.

Loyola will withhold transcripts, grade reports, diplomas, letters of good standing, and statements of honorable dismissal until indebtedness to the university has been discharged.


Loyola endeavors to keep the student's educational records confidential and out of the hands of those who would use them for other than legitimate purposes. All members of the faculty, administration and clerical staff respect confidential information about students which they acquire in the course of their work. At the same time, Loyola tries to be flexible enough in its policies not to hinder the student, the institution or the community in their legitimate pursuits.

Documents submitted by or for the student in support of an application for admission or for transfer credit are not returned to the student nor sent elsewhere by request. In exceptional cases, however, when another transcript is unobtainable, copies may be prepared and released to prevent hardship to the student. The student should present a signed request. Usually the copy, marked as a certified copy of what is in the student's file, is released.

The complete policy on release of student information follows.

Public Law 93 - 380 (also known as the Buckley Amendment, and as the Privacy Rights of Parents and Students - Section 438 of the General Education Provisions Act) permits only the release of "directory information" about students without the student's written consent. Directory information includes:

Student's name, all addresses, telephone numbers, date and place of birth, college, major, honors, awards, photo, classification, dates of enrollment, degrees conferred, dates of conferral, any graduation distinctions and the institution attended immediately prior to admission.

The law provides that any student may, upon written request, restrict the release of or printing (in the student address directory) of such directory information. The student may so indicate at each registration.

The law requires such written consent of the student for the release to anyone (including parents) of other than "directory information" with the following exceptions: (a) other school officials within the educational institution who have legitimate educational interest; (b) officials of schools to which the student seeks to transfer; (c) the Comptroller General of the United States, the HEW Secretary, the administrative head of an education agency or state educational authorities; (d) in connection with a student's application for or receipt of financial aid; (e) state and local officials or authorities to which such information is specifically required to be reported under state statute adopted prior to November 19, 1974; (f) organizations or educational agencies conducting legitimate research, provided no personal identifiable information about the student is made public; (g) accrediting organizations; (h) in connection with an emergency when such information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other persons; and (i) the Veterans Administration.

Loyola University administrators and faculty may have access to information contained in students' records on a need-to-know basis.

Personal information shall only be transferred to a third party on the condition that such party will not permit any other party to have access to the information without the written consent of the student and that the information be utilized only for the specific purpose for which it was released.

Under the law, any student has the right to inspect and challenge his or her own educational file, with the exception of letters of recommendation or other material when the author was guaranteed confidentiality prior to January 1, 1975. Positive identification of the student shall be required, and a university official shall remain in the immediate vicinity during the examination process.

<<< Previous Page, Academic Regulations

1999-2001 Undergraduate Bulletin

Posted online on August 29, 2001